Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Accessorizing Your Home Tip #4
Home Accessorizing Tip # 4
(20 Tips For Accessorizing Your Home series)
Accessories Should Be In Scale With The Room And It's Furnishings
We have all heard the terms scale and proportion but what exactly do these terms mean and how to you achieve it? Simply put you need to use large accessories in combination with large furnishings in a large room and smaller accessories and furnishings in a smaller room. Of course decorators, stagers and designers have been stretching even outright breaking these rules sucessfully for decades, but it takes a keen eye to pull it off. For the novice it may be best to stick with the rule but here are a few tips to make that task a little easier.
* When hanging art work above a sofa it should be approximately 2/3 the size of the sofa. It does not have to necessarily be a single picture it could be a grouping of smaller sized prints placed close enough together that the eye perceives them as one. You could also mix in a shelf or two toped with smaller accessories and pictures.
* Small floral arrangements and vases seldom look good placed on a floor, better to use them for table tops. For floor accessories go with larger sturdy pieces, again the size of these pieces should be determined by the size of the room, size of furnishings and upon the accessories purpose.
* Small nick-nacks rarely look good randomly placed on tables around the room, this is because their scale is totally out of proportion with the furnishings on which they are displayed. If you like to collect small nick-nacks try grouping them together in an intersting way. By grouping them you add visual weight which helps to balance out the scale and proportion.
* Large sofas require large side tables and large side tables require large lamps. Placing smaller pieces in this situation will make the room feel off or even a bit uncomfortable.
* The coffee table should be one-half to two-thirds the length of the sofa. Check out this article for a great demonstration of this.
Note: Photo and pictured bamboo lacquer floor vases (in apple green) are